Wednesday, July 05, 2006

S.Y.I.H. KENNETH LAY, 1942-2006

It now appears that Kenneth Lay will not face any jail time at all. He died today of heart disease. This is just further proof, it seems, that the universe is not fair.

You will note the letters I have written rather than the traditional R.I.P. in front of the memorial. What it stands for should be fairly obvious. And fitting.

In recognition of this event, I present to you a poem, in the style of The Nation writer Calvin Trillin.

AN EXPLANATION AS TO WHY KENNETH LAY DIED BEFORE HIS SENTENCE WAS CARRIED OUT

A fingernail as black as night
on skin of crimson hue.
The prince of darkness sat and watched,
debating what to do.

"True, earthly hell Ken Lay will face,
as fits that son-of-a-bitch,"
Intoned the pondering devil, finger
hovering o'er a switch.

Twas known that Lay would go to jail,
or so the law defined,
But Satan was a-watching and
had other plans in mind.

"But should I take him from the earth,
to meet his mortal fate?"
A smirk criscrossed his scarlet lips,
"Ah hell. I just can't wait!

No comments: