Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Catharsis, n. 1. purgation 2. purification or purgation of the emotions (as pity or fear) primarily through art; a purification or purgation that brings spiritual renewal or release from tension 3. elimination of a complex by bringing it to consciousness and affording it expression. (from Merriam Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, 10th Edition)

Here I stand, trying to start again. Previously I had been hosting a blog on JoeUser.com, where I voiced whatever was on my mind at the time. (Near the end of the blog, the subject was almost exclusively World of Warcraft.)

Maybe it was only a temporary bit of downtime, maybe it was my brother's relative success running his blog on this site, maybe a combination of both, but whatever the case, I moved.

The title is a holdover from the previous blog. I first heard it when I was studying greek tragedy as part of 10th grade English class, and I've always liked its sound. If my dictionary definition of Catharsis above puts you off, let's just say, you use some form of art to purge your emotions, to ground you in reality again, to bring you back from feelings of rage, of grief, of fear.

While I never liked Writing classes, it was only because even the slightest constraint on what I had to write made me feel impossibly chained. So I thought I hated writing. Here, I have the freedom to write whatever I want, if it's on my mind. Maybe it will interest you, maybe not. My last blog didn't interest many people, or at least that's what the number of responses to my posts showed.

I have a horrible habit of trying things, becoming interested for a while, and then ignoring it for a long time. Computer games I played for two weeks before going to the rack, albums I listened to a few times before being shelved, collections nowhere near complete. I come back to them, and think, "Wow...that didn't last long, did it?"

That was the fate of my last blog. If this blog should succumb to the same pitfall, don't be surprised. On the bright side, this one, unlike a lot of others, won't cost either of us anything.

Since I'm starting at the beginning, I should probably tell you a few things. There will be a certain geeky bent to this blog. I am a computerphile at heart; my father started me off at age 3 with First Letters and Words for the Commodore Amiga 2000. 16 years later, I'm studying Computer Science at UMass Amherst. I play computer games voraciously. I write music with a software workstation. And occasionally I see a new gadget and think, "My desktop needs one of those."

But this is my catharsis; when I'm tired from a day of work, I turn to the internet to solve all my problems; when I can't help but smile, I need to say why. When my temper begins to flare, I take it out on whatever virtual enemies stand in my way, so that no physical beings are harmed.

If I speak on matters political, my views will have a decidedly liberal slant. I was born and raised in Massachusetts, one of the most liberal states in the great USA (I want to say THE most liberal, but that honor probably goes to Vermont). I read regularly (or used to, anyway) the blog of music artist Moby, which talks as much about politics as it does music, though a lot of it is Bush-bashing. I read the newsmagazine The Nation every time a new issue comes to our door. And I'm a fan of the works of political- and former SNL Sketch-writer Al Franken, and documentarist Michael Moore. (believe it or not.)

If you generally disagree with that I have to say, please please PLEASE back your argument up. If math teachers have taught me anything, it's that for anything to count, you must show how you reached your answer. If your response is well-written and carefully thought out (if you bother to respond at all), then I will read it. Maybe I will respond in kind, but sometimes I might try to write something witty and disarming. Don't take it the wrong way.

And, for those who read my previous blog, I will TRY to cut back on the news regarding my progress in World of Warcraft. Unless you liked those kind of articles.

No comments: